Friday, July 1, 2011

HOA Nazis

Do HOAs really work? Can you rule a subdivision by fear?

I have new neighbors who moved and built next to me because my Homestead has a very limited, and informal HOA.  We like it that way.  They were basically "driven" from south Austin by HOA fears, and into the arms of the anarchists in Bee Cave.  Welcome you refugees of the Lawn Nazis! 


Do these types of set ups really help sell homes?  I do understand the need for some regulation.  Lawns can get out of control.  Patios can be a blight. If we don't edge the lawns what will the yard workers do for a job. I had a friend get in trouble in Katy because he didn't have curtains up on his windows.  So he hung up seismic lines.  No one seemed to care that the neighbor had a wooden cut out of some bent over woman's butt with her drawers showing, or another with a water hose coming out of some unspeakable portion of the wooden painted overalls crotch.  Apparently such things are considered "cute yard art".   But I guess the thought that Gerald (my friend in Katy) would run around and do his daily functions in a Glass House so to speak, was just too much.

It is good that I don't live in a lawn nazi area.  I would drive both myself and them crazy.

In addition, Home Owners usually PAY for the privilage of being harassed.


“First they came for the failed lawn waterers, but I was a lawn waterer so I did not care. Then they came for the failed lawn edgers, but my lawn was edged so I did not care.  Finally, they came for the landscape code violaters and there was no one left to help me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment