Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Perils of Travel to and from Suriname

Ok,  so I don't expect too much from some places in the world.  If the people are friendly it can make up for not having a lot of amenities (however, nothing can make up for not having toilet paper in the toilets, but that is another issue).  All that I would really like is that it not take me longer to get to and from someplace than I actually am staying in the place.   Asking that, is apparently asking too much of Suriname.

To get to Suriname you have to change planes unless you live in Port of Spain, Trinidad or maybe Miami as best as I can tell, but who wants to live in Miami.  There are no airlines flying out of Suriname on Wednesdays or Fridays as best as I can tell.  The only way to get home through POS is to make a ridiculously tight connection in POS, including going through Trinidadian customs for what? I can not say.  It is seldom made and as is my situation today, you find yourself staying at the only hotel within like 20 miles of Piarco Airport overnight for $200 to connect in the morning.   Otherwise you pay something like $220 a night, plus $70 in taxi cab fees to drive 45 minutes into POS.  When this works it is great - (although nothing you can do about needing to wake up at 2 a.m. to make it to the Paramaribo Suriname airport for the 6 a.m. desperation flight out of Suriname) you get into Ausitn at 3 p.m., but as we see it can go to hell in a handbasket.  You could connect in POS to American Airlines into Miami I guess on the 1 p.m. getting you into Austin at like 10 p.m. or fly up to LaGuardia  then back to Austin, those connections might be a bit less tight, but the flights are gonna coast you more and you arrive in Austin 8 hours later.  So you take a chance, roll the dice and see what comes up.  Today it was craps.     So in summary, basically the whole "getting to the backwater of Suriname" think sucks.  If I can now get home tomorrow (Sunday) then that will give me a whole one evening with my partner.

She is very patient.


A storm coming toward Piarco from the Northern Ranges of Trinidad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment